Dtella:Installation Guide for Windows
From Dtella Wiki
Installing Dtella on Windows
- Download Dtella from www.dtella.org
- Download a suitable DC++ client such as DC++ or BCDC++
- Install both Dtella and the DC++ client
- Start Dtella after installation is finished. Dtella will need to run in the background while you use your DC++ client.
- Start your DC++ client after you start Dtella running in the background.
- Use the following configuration to configure your client to connect to the Dtella network
Router/Firewall ConfigurationIf you have a router or firewall you must make a port forward or firewall exception for both a UDP port and a TCP port. The UDP port is how Dtella communicates with other nodes and is set using the
!UDP <port>command in chat. The TCP port is used during file transfers and needs to be set in the DC++ connection settings. Make sure that the DC++ UDP port is not the same as the Dtella UDP port. You only need to forward the Dtella UDP port and the DC++ TCP port. If you need help on configuring either or router or firewall, see the Router Setup Guide or Firewall Setup Guide.
You must also install a suitable DC++ client for connecting to Dtella. DC++ and StrongDC are two available clients. The default install for either is sufficient, and specific setup instructions for both are below.
- Run your DC++ Client
- When prompted for connection and nickname info, fill in a nickname (Don't use spaces or punctuation in your nickname) and leave the rest
- Click the gold start at the top, this will open your favorite hubs list
- Click New to create a new hub
- Name: Dtella
- Address: 127.0.0.1:7314
- Description: Purdue Dtella
- Nick: (leave blank)
- Password: (leave blank)
- Click ok
- You'll see the newly created hub, check the box beside its name in order to have DC++ auto-connect
- To download on Dtella you must have something shared, to do this go to File -> Settings
- Click "Sharing" and hit [Add Folder] to add folders to your share
- A "Browse For Folder" window will pop up. Use it to browse to the folder you want to share, and once you find it hit [Ok]
- Once you hit [Ok] you will be given a chance to change the "Virtual name" of the folder (this is what the name of the folder will be in your Dtella share). You can change it if you like, but you don't have to. When you are finished hit [Ok]
- Once you hit [Ok] the "Creating file index" window will pull up. This has to finish "hashing" your files before they will show up in your Dtella share. You can let it run or hit [Run in background] to let it run while you continue to use DC++.
- The circled area shows you the total size of your share. This needs to be above the current file share requirement (currently 5GB) before you can download any files on Dtella
Turning off segmented downloading
Segmented downloading is useless we have unlimited data transfers on the LAN. It puts undue stress on disks and provides no real benefit.
- To disable: File-> Settings-> Advanced-> uncheck "Enable segmented downloads"